Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pam

"If a relationship makes you feel fatigued it's probably not of God."

We were sitting around the breakfast table the morning after her daughter's wedding when Pam shared this pearl of wisdom.

She was referring to the relationship that never worked out of course.

So true.

How often do I persevere through relationships with people or activities that drain me of energy? A spark drew me at first: Possibilities. Novelty. Joy. But somewhere in the process it stopped being fun. Instead of carrying me along, I lug the relationship like a burden through my day.

Sometimes this has paid off--because life doesn't always fizz and pop. Sometimes a vacation is all that's needed to rediscover the magic.

Still, I wonder how often I have failed to recognize the dotted line where I was supposed to snip.

No comments: